We have developed an innovative technique for extracting plant proteins (protein isolates) from rapeseeds – FIDOS (Functional Isolates Derived from Oilseeds). Currently we are working on further development of the technology so that it can be introduced into the production process. In future, rapeseed protein isolates, containing high-quality proteins and a very well balanced amino acid composition, will be an alternative to animal and soy proteins.
Our technology will be ultimately installed on-site of the oil mills as an additional branch of the production process. Our solution is to produce rapeseed protein isolates from biomass, which is formed during the production of oil and remains after oil is expelled from seeds.
Rapeseed biomass contains high-value protein, which so far could not be used as a nutrient for humans because of the lack of appropriate technological solutions to isolate proteins. Our solution will enable more efficient use of this biomass and will generate additional economic benefits for rapeseed processing industry.
Applications of FIDOs:
- New protein ingredients for food manufacturers.
- Food ingredients enhancing its nutritional value.
- An alternative to animal proteins, e.g. whey isolates.
- An alternative to soy proteins.
Advantages of FIDOs:
- High protein content, low fat and carbohydrate content.
- High nutritional value – amino acid composition and digestibility comparable to soy and animal proteins.
- Food ingredient with very good functional properties – solubility, foaming, emulsifying, etc.
- Production process is more environmentally healthy than production of animal proteins.
- Food ingredients new to consumers.
- High efficiency and economical benefits in rapeseed processing – we use available biomass generated during oil production process as a starting material.
- The products are suitable for vegetarians and vegans.
- The products are suitable for lactose-intolerant consumers.
- It is a response to the growing market demand for new sources of proteins.
- Simplified logistics – isolates will be produced on-site of existing oil mills.
- No need to import starting materials for the process – protein isolates are produced from rapeseeds, which are easily available in Poland and Europe.
- Rapeseeds cultivated in Europe are not genetically modified.